Monday, March 24, 2014

Magandang Tanghali!!


Family!

Well, I am sitting in a computer shop and it is pouring outside, but I am sure that this is nothing compared to the raining season.  This is only my second real rainstorm here so far... but I love it. I actually love the rain.  I don't know why, but it is just sort of calming to me.  Plus it cleans out all the smog from the air.
 I Love the weather here.
I also experienced my first... umm....ash storm?  Some might have thought it was snow, but no... it was pure ash.  Haha Sister Ott and me went out to run a couple mornings ago and ash was just falling from the sky.  I think that someone was burning their garbage or something far away but the wind carried it over into our subdivision.  Pretty crazy! 

To answer your questions, we have a refrigerator and a stove.  That's it.
We have a nice shower with a shower head but it is just cold.  I have gotten used to that though, and it makes it easy to take quick showers :) 

Haha and the next morning we went out and our neighbors had a giant tent set up in front of their house... I thought it was for a wedding or something.  It had bows and flowers everywhere and they invited us over for lunch later that day.  We asked for what occasion and they said it was their 7 year old's birthday party!!! Haha crazy.  So as we were finishing up our comp and language study we could hear the birthday song playing over and over, so we went for our lunch hour and it was so extravagant! I couldn't believe it.  Haha they had sooo much delicious food and this huge display of their daughter with all of these beauty shops, adorned with little sausages on sticks that had pink marshmallows on top and bottom.  So funny.  We figured it would be a good place to meet some people and OYM (open your mouth).  We made a card for the little girl and she was sitting in this chair with the biggest poofiest purple dress you have ever seen and make up on.  Haha she looked a little bit uncomfortable.  Anyway, we were grateful to be able to meet some of our neighbors, and have free food of course, but I could not believe how elaborate of a party for a 7 year old. 


This is in Noble, a subdivision where a lot of members are and I just thought those chairs were ridiculous so I hurried and had Sister Hingano take a picture of me in them.  They were just in some random person's yard so I hope that they don't care:s they were just outrageous!!!  
There is so much poverty here, but we do live in a nice subdivision and it's interesting to see the contrast.  It's those same neighbors that let us go and pick malungay from their tree, this nutritious, vegetable/leaf that we make in a soup with vegetables and ginger.  So delicious:)  We also found out that the bakery is moving that was right by our house, so we are a little bit sad about that.
As for our work in the area it is going well.  We have really built a good relationship with the members, which is crucial, and I just love the people here.  Jason and Marylin are getting married on the 28th and so we are excited about that.  Jason's brother Jerry and his girlfriend Rodelyn want to get baptized as well, but they need to get married first so it will take some time. 

 Last night, we had a cool experience where our tricycle driver, as we were getting off and paying him... he just randomly said, "Can I ask a question?  What if I were to die tomorrow?  Where would I go?"  Haha so perfect.  I had a plan of salvation pamphlet with me and so we explained a little bit and we are meeting with him tonight to share our message.  It is crazy to see how the Lord will put people in our path, and us in their path.  It really is His work.


 the Cantos family
I have learned so much this week about how we need to become.  As a missionary, I really need to apply the things that I am teaching.  I decided this week that the first Christ-like attribute that I really want to work on is charity.  Charity never fails.  It is the true, most purest form of love, true Christ-like love for others.  I know that I have a long way to go, but I really want to develop it.  When we have true charity, there isn't room for pride or selfishness.  It doesn't seek her own. 
Sister Ajeda and me, she is one of the members who is so active and istig!!! We are really trying to reactivate her husband and one of her son's girlfriend is our investigator.  Her name is Baby Ajeda.  I love her.  Super sweet and always willing to work with us.
Being on a mission, it seems like your weaknesses become glaringly obvious.  But I am just so grateful for this time that is set apart, so that I can truly try and become.  Surely it takes a whole life time, with consistence, to make those big changes.  But I am grateful to get a start.  I know that charity is a gift from God.  We must constantly ask for it in prayer, and through our faith in Jesus Christ we can become.
We all know these scriptures but I just love them. 


Mosiah 7:45-47.  Charity never faileth:
45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is 
not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
 47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever
and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

 Anyway, I love you all and miss you and nagaasa ako that all is well.  You're always in my prayers.

 Ingat po.

Mahal na mahal na mahal na mahal kita.


Sister Rasmussen


No comments:

Post a Comment